Belcaro features some of Denver’s most beautiful homes on winding, tree-lined streets that are quiet and elegant. Its proximity to Cherry Creek, the Denver Country Club and LoDo make it among the city’s most desirable residential enclaves.
The neighborhood, which is just south of Cherry Creek, is bordered by Exposition Avenue, Colorado Boulevard, Tennessee Avenue and Steele Street. Five acres within this area are home to the Phipps
House, 3400 Belcaro Drive. Lawrence C. Phipps, treasurer of Carnegie Steel and a U.S. senator, spent $310,063 to build the mansion in 1932 and called it Belcaro, Italian for “beautiful dear one.” Charles A. Platt & Sons designed the 33,123-square-foot, 54-room red brick Georgian mansion. In 1964 it was donated to the University of Denver and is now a museum and conference center.